Kloovenburg - Eight Feet 2013

Thumbnail Image 1

Tasting Notes

ORIGIN: Swartland

VARIETY: Shiraz (70%), Grenache (10%), Mourvedre (10%) and Carignan (10%)

VINIFICATION: Shiraz is single vineyard trellised, Grenache, Mourvedre and the Carignan are all single vineyard bush vine. Vine age: between 2-15 years. Rootstock: Richter 99, SO4. Aspect: North and East facing slopes. Soil types: Malmesbury shale. Yield is 3-6 tons/ha. All the different components are handpicked during the early morning hours and then cooled overnight in a temperature-controlled room at 50 Celsius. A large percentage (85%) of the Shiraz is then crushed and destemmed, whilst the remaining 15% is fermented as whole cluster. Of the Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan, 30% is fermented as whole cluster whilst the balance is destemmed and crushed. This is followed by a three day cold soak at 90 C, covered with a CO2 blanket. Fermentation takes place in open fermenters. All the grapes ferment spontaneously. Extraction is obtained by three punch-downs per day. After fermentation is complete, the wine is left on the skins for another seven days. The Shiraz is then pressed to 20% new Allier French oak barrels, and the Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan is pressed to a third and fourth fill French oak barrels, which vary from 300-500 L. The pressed section is kept separate. Malolactic bacteria are inoculated and malolactic fermentation is completed in the barrel. The wine is then racked from the lees and given a low does of sulphur. The wines spend a total of 18 months in the barrel before it is blended and bottled.

TASTING NOTES: Colour: intense ruby. Nose: aromas of purple and red fruit with violets and spice. Palate: medium full bodied, good structure with soft and silky tannins. Food: grilled and roast beef, stew, mildly spicy foods and game.

ANALYSIS:

Residual Sugar 3.0 g/l (+/- 0.5 g/l)

Alcohol: 14.01% by vol (+/- 0.2% vol)

Total Acid: 5.69 g/l (+/- 0.25 g/l)

pH: 3.58 (+/- 0.05)